Saturday, June 4, 2011

Bad news

Well, bad news about the puppy, she had a little fit two days ago and her tiny tongue turned white, so we rushed her to the vet. By the time we got there, she was much improved, licking my chin and otherwise being adorable.
The doc took a look at her anyway and discovered she has a cleft palate, which he seems to think means I should put her down.
I was very discouraged at first, especially with Connie crying in the background as I was trying to talk to him. But, we've gotten her through three weeks with a bottle, not knowing there was a problem, so I'm going to keep going. I've found several websites that suggest a. these can heal at 10-12 weeks of age, and b. some people have kept dogs with this problem and they have a happy life. The main thing seems to be that they have to eat hard dog food all their life, but that probably isn't the end of the world.

So, we're going to keep on, and see what happens....maybe later on have we'll have a special bead sale for surgery if it turns out that we need it.

No comments: