Found an almost empty bag of navy beans in the pantry, several years old at least, and thought it would be a good time to try my hand at canning beans again. I found a recipe that sounded good in Jackie Clay's canning book and decided to give it a whirl.
I made two batches, the first, exactly as per the recipe, until I realized there was nowhere near enough liquid and had to make another batch of sauce. They still came out very dry--I was afraid to really stuff the jars in case there was something I didn't know about expansion and tomato juice.....
The next batch that's in the canner right now looked wonderful---I mixed up a quadruple batch of sauce and then added a quart of last years tomatoes for a bit of texture. I made sure to run a knife down the sides to get out all the bubbles and get the sauce all the way down to the bottom.
I'm betting there was a mis-print in the book on the quantities, and hopefully these beans come out as wonderful as they looked going in!!