Friday, September 5, 2008

chili recipe

ten cups of beans, washed---about 5 quarts of water to cook in


bring to boil, simmer til tender, I used a canner to cook in, then drained off most of the liquid---left just enough to cover the beans


two onions, cut up fine, and browned in a little olive oil


ten tomatoes---I got these five for a dollar, they were cracked---peeled and cut up


five pounds of hamburger, browned and drained--this is a lot of meat, but it was on the edge of freezerburning, so I just used it up



1 tablespoon cumin

2 tablespoons mild chili (we buy ours in Hatch on the way to Tucson every year)


2 tablespoons garlic powder


3 tablespoons Penzey's adobo--this doesn't have salt in it


3 tablespoons Penzey's southwest seasoning



Since there isn't any salt in the cooking, I add some commercial adobo at the end, just to taste



simmer all together, being careful not to let it burn


It was good, a bit bland, but the youngest member of the household does not like spicy food, so we can add to it in the bowl.

Since it was was fishing night, I had to put it in the fridge--we'll can it today and I'll post how many jars we got.

No comments: