Saturday, November 7, 2009

Lightening the load

When we moved here from Anchorage I had a fairly large book collection---somewhere around 1000 pounds, much to my husbands dismay. I did weed out a few before we left, but I kept the bulk of them and we packed them up and loaded them in the trailer.
I've sold a few dozen on Amazon in the year since, but the bookshelves are still overflowing.

Life has changed for me, a lot, since I first decided I wanted to be a textile artist/costumer, and frankly, I wonder now what I was thinking then. These books have always been a part of me, something I would never part with. A couple of days ago it occurred to me that if I got rid of some of them I wouldn't have to carry them with me if we moved again. It was a strange thought and oddly attractive. I have four boxes ready to take to friends tomorrow, and I feel lighter already.

No comments: