Monday, March 9, 2009

The sweater

I think the sweater is getting smaller!! I decided to catch up on laundry today, and almost did----and the sweater went through every load.
I had picked up a book on felting, using knitted yardage made on a knitting machine, but there was a pair of mittens made from recycled sweater sleeves. I thought that was a nifty idea, so I've been looking for a wool sweater to felt. Finally found, not one, but two at the thrift store so I brought them both home with me. One, a lightweight, cream colored Shetland wool with cabling is too pretty to ruin. Not to mention it actually fits me. I found the resemblance to a snowball a little disconcerting, but it's a warm layer for winter, so I put it away in the closet. THE sweater, the chosen one, is an eighties bat-wing affair with a high neck in black, gray, and a black and gray zig-zag. Made mostly of angora wool, with a little rabbit, I thought it would be ideal. I missed the ten percent nylon. Imagine my surprise when it didn't appear to have done anything after the first wash and dry. Or the second, or the third. I think we're up to about the tenth--and it does appear to be shrinking, as well as pilling. Maybe by next fall.....

No comments: